Pages

Friday 3 November 2023

Seasonal Candles

 I've just realised nothing  has been posted on here since Monday and have to admit that it has taken me almost that length of time to complete this card (obviously a few domestic jobs done as well).  I loved the look of these candle dies but had no idea just how challenging it would be to use them.  There are dies for three candles in the set and two of them have pieces which look very similar.  I decided to start out cutting the layers using scraps of card just to get an idea of how they went together and eventually I think I've fathomed it out - took a while 🙄.  I have lots of snippets of pearl card in various shades of white and cream and thought that I could use a selection of these shades to give the candles a little more interest - hopefully my plan has worked.  Another thing I decided to do was to use different greens and reds in my Distress Oxide inks to colour a couple of pieces of card to give a mottled effect before cutting out the foliage and berries although the mistletoe berries were cut from tiny scraps of cream pearl card.  Finally I had all the components so I found some background paper from a long retired Christmas collection; printed a sentiment and that's it.  I certainly wouldn't earn much of a living from this lark, given the length of time some of my cards take to make 🤣 but the important thing is that making them gives me pleasure - and keeps me out of mischief.


Background - DSP from a retired Stampin' Up Christmas collection
Sentiment - computer generated, printed then die cut using a SU die (also retired I think)
Candles - Candle Shop Colorize die set designed by Tim Holtz
Foliage - dies designed by Tim Holtz

10 comments:

  1. I can relate to that problem Val, I have a Santa and sack die set and it's a like doing a jig saw fathoming out what fitted where. But looks like you sussed it as it's a lovely card.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your efforts were worth it, Val! This is one stunning Christmas design and great use of snippets! You will have to make sure this card goes to someone who can appreciate the care and work involved! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can totally see why you fell in love with those candle dies Val. They look great - even if they are fiddly to deal with. Loving the mottled foliage (another good idea). Fab card. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The candles are beautiful and well worth all your time to create this gorgeous card. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worth the fiddle, the cream shadows look great, and it’s a lovely layout xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val
    Well as long as you are happy and enjoying what you are doing that is all that matters!
    I love the effect you have produced with your different shades of card and inks. Very clever and a lovely finished card!
    I was really pleased to receive your comments regarding your own Janome sewing machine .. .. good to know yours hasn't changed colour over time and it is still going strong.
    I have big plans for mine.
    Not only do I have lots of card snippets I have tons of fabric stashed away too! LOL!!!
    Have a good weekend.
    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The candles look lovely in those great shades of color, and I especially like that little strip of red beneath the sentiment panel that connects with the red bow and candle flames. Beautifully crafted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your candle card Val...I can see why you had to have this die set

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love TH dies but putting some of them together is challenging to say the least! I've just had a similar experience with one of his sets. At the end of the day this is a gorgeous card and as you say kept you out of mischief. L x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These TH candles are beautifully but obviously a fiddly set to put together and fathom what goes where..that would drive me mad..lol. The finished result is beautiful though and the foliage and background paper is so pretty...a terrific card Val. x

    ReplyDelete