Saturday 2 May 2020

Another Bag Made

I've had it in mind to make this particular bag for some time so I set about sorting through my scraps of Batik fabrics to cut out 48 squares which I thought would go together colour-wise, adding just a border of black as a contrast.  Fortunately I had a piece of suitable colour to make the lining, button loop and the little side ties.  The basic pattern is one which I bought from Juberry Fabrics a few years ago at a show but I've adapted it somewhat, particularly on the inside where I've added two zipped 'letterbox' pockets.  The original pattern was made up in one overall fabric with an external plain pocket in contrasting fabric.but I'd spotted one made up with multicoloured squares so that is what I wanted for this version.  The two panels were made up and then quilted before tackling the construction.

You will have heard of 'extreme' sports, and possibly 'extreme' ironing - well this turned out to be 'extreme' bag-making because I used some foam interlining.This makes a beautifully firm bag that will stand up on it's own but my goodness I found it hard work manipulating it under the machine (age could be a contributing factor here!!).  Actually stitches easily but the general unwieldiness was definitely a battle although I am happy with the result.   The ties at the sides can be unfastened so that it opens out to be a more capacious bag - final measurements are approximately 12" x 11" x 6".

Pattern for Bag Shape - Juberry Fabrics
Foam Interlining - Bosal single side iron-on foam
Batik fabrics - from Hannah'sRoom

Wednesday 29 April 2020

Change of Activity

I've not done any stitching since I went into lock-down - couldn't get motivated somehow but I thought it was about time I changed that situation.  I'm very fond of Redwork embroidery and I knew that some time ago I had embroidered some panels with different quirky cats so I went in search of them to remind me how many I'd done and to maybe decide what to actually do with them.  There were six finished panels but three were landscape format and three portrait format  which I thought would cause a bit of a problem trying to incorporate them into a small quilt so I decided eventually that making some bags with embroidered panels on the side might be the way to go and so far I've made three.  When you see the photograph the eagle-eyed amongst might observe that the cat is actually purple and not red.  Redwork was indeed traditionally carried out using red thread - Turkey red I think originally - but I chose to make all my cats purple in a break from tradition.

Fortunately I had some purple fabric and also some lining with purple colours in it for the linings.  Having worked out a suitable size for the tote bags I cut various strips and panels to build up the front and back.  I'm aiming to make four altogether; two with a vertical cat design on each side, two with a horizontal design on each side and one each using the two left over panels one one side with a plain piece on the other.

My next job is to clear up the chaos left in the living room from my mad sewing session!!

Monday 27 April 2020

Anniversary Heart

Just realised I've not written a post since Thursday so here is an Anniversary card which was made recently using an embossing folder which came as a free gift a few years ago and proved so popular that there are several variations available which are very similar but with varying textures in the two areas.  Also stamps available to go with this style.  I've simply die cut a heart with a sentiment and butterflies, one layer in cream and the top layer in the same pearl card as the embossed background.  The words were stamped onto some cream card and die cut to match the curve.  The tiny heart on the sentiment banner was 'waste' from the main heart motif - just felt I should use it!!

Embossing Folder - several variations available from Craft Stash
Curved banner - die also from Craft Stash also word stamps available
Heart die - from Tonic dies, another freebie.