Saturday 21 May 2011

Forgotten Friday 17

For Judith's Forgotten Friday challenge this week I decided to revisit one of my large collection of CDs some of which definitely haven't seen the light of day for a long time.  The one I settled on was Garden Gals from Fee'J Designs and I printed out one of the decoupage sheets. Decoupage is a technique which I've not visited in a while either apart from occasionally adding an extra layer to a stamped image.  I opened the CD in My Craft Studio so that I could make a border using one of the little daisy images on a background to match the check behind the 'gal'.  The main background paper  from the CD was reduced in size to fit the card and one of the layers was cut in pink pearlescent card using a Nestability die and then embossed using a plastic mask with large dots.  The sentiment was printed from one of my many MCS discs and poppped onto a Marianne flower shape.  A couple of crochet flowers, Marianne leaves and a bit of glitter were added as finishing touches.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

A Self Portrait

I belong to a Patchwork and Quilting group and from time to time we run projects and challenges - one which is coming towards the final month has been a block swap where each member taking part chooses a block which she would like to make into a quilt and each of the participating members makes her a block following instructions or using templates.  In this way each month one of the participants receives a number of blocks (enough to make into a quilt as there are fifteen people  in the group) and she has only had to make one of the blocks herself and then of course complete the quilt.  I hope I've explained this clearly.

However this last month has really taken me out of my comfort zone as the person whose turn it was gave us all a square of hand dyed fabric and a smaller piece of another colour along with a template for a doll type figure and asked us to produce a self portrait so that she can make them all into a wall hanging for an upcoming exhibition.  Patchwork I've done, applique too and embroidery but the self portrait was something quite new and I'm not sure if I will be pleased or horrified if I'm recognised from the results!!   In case there is any doubt we were  asked to embroider our name at the bottom. I've added a little greeting card in an envelope (made from stiff interfacing fabric), three tiny beaded flowers (using size 15 beads) and a mini knitted scarf using eyelash yarn - the hair on the doll was made using needle felting technique and a bit of wirework came into play for the spectacles.  These things all represent just a few of my many interests and I'm quite looking forward to seeing the blocks all assembled.

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Bah Humbug Challenge 19

This week seems to be disappearing rapidly - some weeks seem to be like that but I've managed to make a snowflake card for the Bah Humbug challenge. Background paper is from Artylicious Seasons Greetings CD and the message was also printed from there as well.  I added a border of dark blue card which was embossed using a cuttlebug snowflake folder and then sprayed with some Glimmer Mist (I also added a few touches of Stewart Gill shimmery blue with a paint brush).  Snowflakes were cut from glitter handmade paper using a Marianne die.