My lovely owl punch arrived from Stampin Up and I really wanted to have a play so I worked out a way to incorporate owls and the requested BEADS for the Bah Humbug challenge this week. I turned two of them into Santa owls and sat them on chimneys - fine but how to use beads? Then I had the idea of die cutting and embossing some trees and decorating one of them with tiny beads so now these two Santas are sitting on the rooftop with their own tree relaxing after delivering all the presents. The sentiment is from a set of Joanna Sheen owl stamps which I remembered I had lurking around somewhere - I do love owls!!
Saturday, 23 July 2011
Friday, 22 July 2011
Friday again and time to visit Judith's Forgotten Friday blog - well worth a visit as she has made a beautiful bird card. For my card this week I've visited an old and almost forgotten technique (temporarily forgotten by me anyway!!) using decorative paper napkins. The traditional way to do this is to use 'mod podge' or decoupage glue to adhere the top picture layer onto a piece of card but I tried the modern way with some cling film and an iron but be aware that not all cling film works (there are tutorials on the web). Doing it this. way gives a very flat smooth result and I'm not sure I don't prefer the slightly textured effect you get when using the 'messy' method. The background paper is some which I've had for some time, months in fact ever since a friend asked me to pick her up a couple of sheets from my local craft shop and naturally I couldn't resist buying some for myself, promptly stored it away and forgot I had it!! The flower was made with a Marianne die and a flower punch using up odd scraps from my HUGE bits box - why is it I just cannot throw out anything unless it's smaller than a postage stamp??
Wednesday, 20 July 2011
The other week I spotted a give-away on a magazine of some Lili of the Valley images on card to colour and cut out so I couldn't resist - pity the magazine wasn't as good as the images but I reckon it was worth it because there were 20 different images.. This one has been coloured with Promarkers and Copics. Background papers are from my stash, sentiment was computer generated using My Craft Studio and I added a Marianne die cut butterfly.
Tuesday, 19 July 2011
They are still on the vintage theme over at Make My Monday and this week they are looking for something torn or crumpled (shabby chic). I have done torn and crumpled with a piece of core-dinations card torn into a rough square, crumpled and sanded - I then sponged it with Tattered Rose Distress ink and over-stamped with some text. A French Text stamp from Stampin-Up was used on cream card with the same DI and then cut out with a Nestabilities label, sponged while still in the die and faux stitching added with a fine pen; I then added a stamped Eiffel tower (stamp from Chocolate Baroque). I tied a bow of vintage ribbon around and a flower stamped using a stamp from Vintage Vogue set (also Stampin-Up) and the words were another stamp from the same set. The background paper is from my stash although it is hardly recognisable because I've sponged it and overstamped with some swirls. A few matching pearls and that's it!!
Sunday, 17 July 2011
Yesterday I went along to a Stampin Up Extravaganza day presented by the lovely Jenny of Stamping Moments and it was absolutely brilliant with lots of great projects for us to complete, some yummy cakes too so what better way to spend a wet Saturday. This card is one of the projects and my friend Anne has posted pictures of some of the others including a waterfall album so do pop along and take a look. I really NEED that cute owl punch set now (it is on order!!). The fence and little garden gate on this card actually have little tabs and slots on them so that the card will fold flat for posting, clever idea.
What better to do on a grey and wet Sunday than to stay in and make a card for the Bah Humbug Christmas Challenge week 28!! This week they are asking for shaped cards (or other items) but definitely nothing square or rectangular so I reckon this jolly Santa should fit the bill. He was printed from a Polkadoodles Paper Boutique Christmas CD, all the layers were cut out and the white parts have been run through a Xyron machine, then glittered although that may not show up too well on the scan. Once all the pieces were cut out it was a fairly straightforward job to assemble him. All I have to do now is clean up the surplus glitter on my workspace before I can continue with my play day!!