Thursday 12 October 2017

Another One

When I saw the cards which Mrs A had made for the Butterfly Challenge I saw she'd used a die which at the time a few years ago I just had to have but to my shame it's not been used for simply ages.  Because I had a few scraps of the damson purple card left over from the card posted yesterday I searched out the die and some other bits and pieces to make another butterfly card.  The vertical element in this case is the panel on the left including said die.  Luckily I was able to find some toning pieces of paper in my bits boxes which I've used as background and also one layer of the two butterflies with the rest of the purple for the top layers and the sentiment.  I've even used a few pieces of the 'waste' from the trellis die as little added extras and some fairy dust for a bit of sparkle.  You have a couple of weeks to come up with something for the challenge and to be in the running for a lovely prize.

Tall die - Tessatina by Memory Box
Butterflies - Sizzix dies
Sentiment - Crafter's Companion die
Papers - oddments from the bits boxes

Wednesday 11 October 2017

Butterfly Challenge #87

Mrs A has kindly invited me to be a guest designer because I was  lucky recently to have been a winner of the Butterfly Challenge.  I was given a choice from some letters of the alphabet and as 'V' was amongst them I just had to choose it for the theme which was then paired with the letter D for the colour.  So this time we have V for vertical and D for the colour damson and of course butterflies have to feature somewhere.

I decided to make a vertical format card using some damson purple card with touches of blue for contrast.Starting with the background which is peeping through the butterflies, I embossed a piece of the dark card before rubbing some Glitter Kiss in blue to highlight the embossing. The next stage was to die cut the main butterfly aperture in another piece of purple card which was then embossed.  This layer was raised on foam pads over the glitter layer. Another die from the set was used to cut the outline and detailed butterflies using blue pearlised card before popping the outline carefully into the shaped aperture and adding a couple of the detailed butterflies.  A slightly larger piece of blue card was cut to go behind the whole thing before popping onto a 5" x 7" vertical card.  Finally a computer sentiment was die cut and layered onto ovals cut in the same colours.  I hope this makes sense to you - actually a much easier card to make than to describe!!

I do hope I have in some way inspired you to have a go and make something to enter into the Butterfly Challenge and as always there is a lovely prize on offer.

Butterfly Die - Sue Wilson Cascading Butterflies
Embossing Folders - Crafter's Companion
Sentiment - layers cut using stitched shapes from Stampin' Up.

Monday 9 October 2017

Grid Work

When I was part way through snipping out all the 'holes' in this piece of parchment I was questioning my wisdom in setting out to do such a large area of grid work.  However, once started I decided I should persevere and get it all done - not perfect but all good practice.  A diagonal grid was used and the flowers were made using a Groovi plate which has a lovely and so useful selection of flowers, leaves and butterflies designed by the clever Tina Cox.  The colouring has been done on the back using Polychromos pencils - flowers were cut out using scissors in this case.

I must apologise for my lack of commenting on various blogs just recently - things seem to have got in the way and somehow stolen some of my time.  Hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly.