Tuesday, 22 July 2014

A Taste of India

I think you will be able to tell what colour my fingers are after creating this card which was inspired when I spotted a magazine (yes again!!) giving away freebies.  This time there were some stamps and a small embossing folder from the Indian range by Sheena Douglass.  I happened to have the large embossing folder which forms the main image but hadn't yet used it - shame.  I searched through my stock of Artilicious papers (now Chocolate Baroque) and found this one which I thought would be just right - I added border stamping top and bottom using one of the free stamps.  I used the free folder to emboss an odd piece of black card and used Treasure Gold wax to bring out the pattern.  Incidentally the embossing isn't as deep with the free folder - Sheena is known for the lovely depth of her folders giving pronounced embossing.  Now onto the main image and my fingers - people not knowing me would think I'm a heavy smoker!!  After embossing I highlighted the lines using a Stazon ink pad before blending four colours of Distress ink for the architecture - some areas were bleached out with water.  I have to confess that I was a bit heavy handed with the black ink pad and managed to get a smudge in the small window near bottom right so had to cut that out and add a layer behind using card sponged with matching DI over stamped using one design from an Indian themed cube stamp which I've had for years - how lucky was that.

Background - paper from Chocolate Baroque (Artilicious)
Main image - embossing folder from India range Sheena Douglass
Black panel - free embossing folder from India range
Stamps - free from magazine, including borders and sentiment

Sunday, 20 July 2014

Snippets Playground 134

This card for the Pixie Snippets challenge started out with a good sized snippet of Stampin' Up designer paper from their latest 'In Colours' - a friend kindly gave me a few pieces so that I could see for myself how lovely they are and I do love the combination of blackberry and honey.  These new colours are on my wish list but for the time being I rooted through my bits boxes and came up with some pieces which I could use and found that Rich Razzleberry and More Mustard tone in so I used some of these 'snippets' to die cut the banners.  The dictionary stamp was used on an odd piece of white paper, sponged and over stamped with some splodges.  Flowers were stamped with the same colours - luckily I have the matching ink pads.

Background - Stampin' Up designer paper and Dictionary stamp, splodges from French Foliage set
Banners - Sizzix banners dies (SU)
Sentiment - from Wetlands stamp set (SU) oval punch
Flowers - Beautiful Bunch stamp set with matching punch
Leaves - Marianne die