Pages

Monday 4 February 2013

Inspired by Literature

I must say I really didn't like the look of the challenge on Make My Monday this week where they are asking us to make something inspired by a literary classic by Jane Austen.  English literature was my absolute least favourite subject at school and although I read a great deal I must confess that  I'm never drawn to any of the 'classics'.  However, as I was working on a card this morning it occurred to me that maybe this 'sit up and beg' bicycle is maybe reminiscent of a gentler era with its slower pace of life so maybe it will fit in with the challenge.  If I have a better idea later in the week I may try again just as long as I don't have to actually read the book!!

 Background paper is from Papermania capsule collection, a Couture Creations embossing folder has been used, the bicycle is a Memory Box die, mounted onto a Nestabilities label.  Sentiment produced on the computer and the bow was cut with a Die-namics die and embossed.


10 comments:

  1. A lovely card Val, I love the bike, am I right in thinking that it's a die cut bike? I'm with you on the reading, it's something I do a lot of, but never the classics.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card Val and love that bike...I remember those kinds or horns that you used to beep...were these dies cut on your new 'toy'??

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colour combo, very effective bicycle. Should you be telling us about any other purchases?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the colours and your Memory Box die cut Val. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely idea Val - had to admit I was horrified when I read this challenge today! I had to do Eng lit at A level many years ago, and hated it - didn't mind Chaucer, but Jane Austen and Dickens.......can't think how I had a daughter who reads Dickens for fun!
    Great diecut, makes a lovely card - now I have a penny farthing stamp.................

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, you definitely do not have to read the book to enter again! You can even just be inspired by the book cover! LOVE this idea, though, with the bike reminding you of a gentler time. The purple is just beautiful and I adore the CAS style! Thanks for joining in my challenge at MMM, Aquarius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear - just deleter my comment - looks like it's going to be another day like yesterday!! (only YOU are party to that one). Let's start again........
    Super thinking outside the box & I love the balancing of the bow with the sentiment. I'm not very good with Jane Austen either though she's R's favourite (he doesn't read fiction!!). George Eliot is the one I fell for whilst at school......... but struggle with some of hers too.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card Val and I would be with you in regard to Jane Austin. I liked English Lit but luckily didn't have to study any of Jane Austin's books. I'm like Veronica's daughter in that I occasionally reread a choice few of Dickens' books. My two favourite classics are Jane Eyre which I first read at 11 and many times since and Great Expectations. I never could get on with Shakespeare though. I do love your bicycle card with the pretty mauves and the lovely bike but wouldn't have a clue what the connection to Jane Austen is.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely card Val. love the simplicity which is so elegant and lilac is a favourite of mine too.
    Thanks for joining in with our MMM literary inspiration challenge.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Val... so sorry you didn't like the look of the MMM challenge ... but you came up trumps with this great card.
    I'm not a big Jane Austin fan but I have just finished reading Thomas Hardys Tess for the second time.... now I'm reading a chicklit book for fun :)
    Suzi B xx

    ReplyDelete