Pages

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Make My Monday week 17

This is the last week on Make My Monday challenge for the steampunk theme and I'm way outside my comfort zone with this one which was 'anything but a card' because I rarely venture into this sort of work much as admire what other people achieve.. I've been mulling this over since I read the post and eventually decided on altering a picture frame.  I called into our local shop where everything is one economical price and fortunately they had this square frame with a wide area to decorate.  I sanded the surface slightly and applied some gesso and then a coat of acrylic paint, finally sponging with Distress ink.  The image of the penny farthing was a free digital download from BTFC, distressed with dusty concorde  ink.  Various stamps from Kanban, 7 Gypsies, Paper Artsy and Chocolate Baroque were used (the flower is from CB Steampunk Christmas set). I also cut out some cogs using a Sizzix die and embossed them with more cogs using a Cuttlebug folder, again using Distress ink.  I can see that I could have made this much more elaborate, especially if I had a handy supply of watch parts and other bits and pieces which are on my ever growing wish list, but at least I had a go.


16 comments:

  1. Well done Val you've done a good job with this frame... know how you feel though!Thank you for joining Make My Monday.
    Suzi B xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you say you are out of your comfort zone but you have created a beautiful frame....


    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning project Val. I love the colour and your use of all the little stamps around the edge, as well as the die cuts. The penny farthing in the middle is perfect. Must see if I can find this to download.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You underestimate yourself. This is really nice! I love all the stamping on the frame, and the cuttlebugged cogs. The flowers are awesome!! As is, of course the digi image in the center (not biased or anything). I'd love to feature this on the post of the Penny Farthing. Thanks so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have had a go at this project and you can tell as it is wonderful! Such a pretty colour used too! You say it is well outside your comfort zone but I would not know. Its FABULOUS!! Thank you for your continued support at Make My Monday....new month of challenges next week..are you ready?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely Val, my favourite colour again. The mixture of images is perfect, and the addition of the embossed cogs is great. Those CB steampunk flowers are splendid, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is terrific - love the colours & the way you've embossed those cog die-cuts. Your metal parts work beautifully & I think those CB stamped flowers are just out of this world; especially the way you have layered them with the gold embossed ones on top & with the brassy metal centres. So much texture & interest.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Val, You have made a beautiful Job of this. I love the colour and those flowers are beautiful. I love the cogs I definately need that die now. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely steampunk project in beautiful colours - thanks for joining us again this week at Make My Monday - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love purple and steampunk, so this is absolutely perfect to me! Love your artwork! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely beautiful Val - love the colours and the images especially the digistamp from BTFC - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so pleased you had a go for the result is fabulous, love the stamping and the colour is terrific. Thanks again for sharing with us at MMM. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  15. See just what you can do when you get out of your comfort zone, this piece is wonderful and my favourite colour as well. Thanks for joining in with us over on Make My Monday again.

    Cathx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Val this is absolutely beautiful and so glad you did this. It's a wonderful idea and the colours, stamping and embellishing look amazing.
    Thanks for joining in with Make My Monday's final steampunk challenge. Lovely to see you there.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete