Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

A Bit of Mixed Media

I've had this box lying around for quite a while with the intentions of decorating it in some way - it started off as a plain kraft coloured box of about 7" square.  My first move was to cover it all with a layer of gesso, followed by Distress paint in Weathered Wood with a final light touch of Rusty Hinge.  There were a few things I wanted to try on this and one of them was the faux aged metal effect which I spotted on Jenny's blog recently where she had used it to good effect on a pocket watch.  As I have this die I thought I'd use it too - the face of the watch was printed from the Wellington CD which I used recently (Docrafts).  The image was resized  to fit the die, sponged with some Distress Ink and then covered with rock candy crackle medium, hands were from a Marianne die which luckily was the right size. I started the background by sponging distress inks and overstamping with various text and images.  The area over the text in the top left has been textured through a diamond mask with glass bead texture medium which dries clear to show what is behind it - unfortunately because it is clear it hasn't shown up well on the photos although I'm pleased with the effect on the actual box.!!  The grungeboard swirl was coloured with rusty hinge and clear embossed.

It so happens that Make My Monday this week are asking for 'anything but a card' so this will be my entry for their challenge and also it fits the metallic theme on Sunday Stamper where hopefully faux metal will be acceptable.

I've managed to get a half decent photo of the glass bead texture medium area - not easy to photograph


21 comments:

  1. Love everything about this box Val, the colours are corgeous. Thank you for joining us at MMM always a pleasure to see you :)
    Suzi B xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A real beauty - much that I've not even ventured into. The colours are glorious & I can imagine the textural effect ........
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of work but it looks great Val.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Val just love your altered box, gorgeous colours and love your embellishments...look forward to seeing it ITF....

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, that is outstanding!!! You have positively transformed your box. Adore that background (wish I could see your glass bead gel medium more clearly as I bet it looks superb) and of course your watch is a triumph. So pleased you picked up on a technique I loved from Candice (Tincan Handmade Craft Deli). You have put it to such good use. Huge hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added another showing a closeer look at the texture area.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Val. It's every bit as yummy as I expected. You are a clever lady. Jenny x

      Delete
  6. Wow! A stunning project, Val and perfect for our challenge at Make My Monday - thanx for sharing.
    Hugz, Jan (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val - Jenny tagged me in a facebook post about your project, so ofcourse I had to come on over. I'm Candice from(Tincan Handmade Craft Deli) This is so absolutely beautiful. Big thumbs up from me - I love all of it.

    You have totally stoked my curiosity about the Glass bead texture medium - I can barely sit down. What is it, where do you get it - I think that would make me insanely happy. I am already such a glossy accents junkie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice - hope you see this as I don't do Facebook so not sure how to get in touch. The glass bead texture gel is produced for artists and the one I used was by Winsor and Newton (Galeria acrylic mediums) - purchased in my local art shop. I applied it with palette knife through a mask stencil in the usual way. It takes a while to dry.

      Delete
  8. Loving the texture and all the details
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is stunning Val, I love everything about it. Great texture and theme as well. I have several bit laying around to be altered, but have not done anything with them yet.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is absolutely gorgeous x love the texture x hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this make Val. stunning colour and background with a great faux technique

    Crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is really lovely Val - great colours and texture! just had to check out Candice's blog to find out how you did the watch, it's a fantastic technique that I'm itching to try

    ReplyDelete
  13. Val, this is absolutely stunning, love the background colours and the pocket watch has been finished so beautifully. Love this! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is stunning, love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Val, what a fabulous box with such a lot of work and well worth it.
    Thank you so much for sharing with us at Make My Monday this week
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. love it... and yes faux metal is allowed! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, love all the details.
    xx Monique

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really fabulous project. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Make My Monday.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete