Pages

Monday 5 February 2018

Playground Challenge #319

A friend and member of the patchwork group I attend showed me a bag pattern from a magazine and sought my opinion as to whether I thought it would make a good workshop project.  Having read through the details I felt that the best way would be to have a go at the bag myself to see how it panned out - it was marked with three symbols showing the degree of difficulty - one symbol being 'easy'. 

As the first thing I needed to do was search through my fabric scraps to find sufficient to cut out 64  squares of 2.5 inches I decided that this bag when completed could be taken along to Pixies Crafty Workshop for the Playground Challenge.  Every square is cut from a different fabric and ironed onto some Vilene and after a bit more cutting the two resulting multicoloured squares were overlaid with a lattice work of ribbon or in this case tape because I couldn't find suitable ribbon locally and although I have boxes full of ribbons of one sort or another I certainly couldn't lay my hands on 11 metres of the same colour.  The original bag was designed by Brenda Dean and appeared in a Patchwork 'bag special' magazine from 2010.  I've adapted the top and handle section of the bag, again because the original required more fabric than I actually had to cut this part in one piece so I 'did my own thing here'.  I enjoyed using up some of my fabric snippets for this colourful bag.

Do pop along to the playground to see the beautiful card made by Di this week and read what a labour of love it turned out to be inlaying all those small die cut letters - wonderful result though.


Bag Pattern from Popular Patchwork Handbag Special 2010 - Brenda Dean design

12 comments:

  1. What a great project this is to take to the playground Val. I love the bright colours on the dark background. They really pop. It looks like a lovely strong back to take to your next craft show - plenty of room inside! I bet you can remember what you used all those different fabrics for too. I love it. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,
    what a interesting way to use Snippets and such a very beautiful result.
    Those fabrics look so super with the black background.
    A real stunning project and wonderful workmanship too.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val

    You have fabric snippets and paper ones!! Double trouble!! LOL!!

    Your finished bag looks amazing.

    That must have taken some putting together .. .. but well worth the effort.

    Love it!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous bag, Val! Great way of using fabric snippets. The bright squares look striking against the dark background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val what a great bag your fabric scraps really show up against the Black background

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally stunning bag Val - LOVE the splashes of colour against the dark, so dramatic! Brilliant use of fabric snippets. And, did it end up as a project for the workshop then?

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic bag Val, I love all the different fabrics you've used they look so dramatic against the black.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val . . . What a great project. Gorgeous bag to take a picnic to the Playground in. Labour of love but totally worth it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really colourful using all those different materials. Boy must you have been tired after cutting 64 tiny squares. That is dedication for you but what a result. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Val

    Hoping all is well with you.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a magnificent work of art, Val, and so worthy of being featured by Di over on the Playground! Well done!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely tote Val...so pretty. I have a small collection of quilts that I love so this so appeals to me.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete