Saturday, 22 August 2015

Oriental Theme

The stamps used on this card were from a set given away recently on the front of a magazine.  I think they must have been designed by Crafter's Companion (although it doesn't say so) because they seem to go so well with the papers and other items in their Kimono range so I've printed one of their papers to use as a background.  Images coloured using Copic pens.  I'm soon off  to venture out into the jungle garden  to attack the grass and I'm hoping there are no wild animals lurking!!

Stamps - free from magazine
Backing Paper - printed from Kimono CD Crafter's Companion
Sentiment - Stampin' Up

Wednesday, 19 August 2015

It's Been a While ...

...since I actually made a card - over a month in fact when I made four family birthday ones for July birthdays.  I do have quite a stock of cards made and really don't need more at the moment but I found I was missing making them;  of course my stamps and dies are lying neglected and my huge collection of paper and card unused!!  Today I've produced two after dithering about trying to decide what to make and what to use because I'm so out of touch.  This one would be suitable for a crossword enthusiast male or female and details of products used are below.

Background - Papermania paper with an oddment of raffia
Crossword - Docrafts stamp with greeting hand written
Clock Face - part of a stamp by Chocolate Baroque

Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Another Zipped Pouch

I thought I'd just as well show you the third variation of the pouches I made at the weekend - this time I went for a flat one (same basic method with a change in the way it was folded before stitching the final seams).  I thought this sort of thing could be handy for maybe travel documents or even a way of keeping all the general bits and pieces together inside a larger handbag so that if you wanted to change bags easily all you need do is just swap the pouch and its contents. This pouch is approximately ten inches square but could of course be made any size you like.

 I've had quite a long break from making cards but now I'm feeling as if I want to get back to it so maybe there will be some more things to share shortly.

Monday, 17 August 2015

Two Days Running

Well another blog post today - this time to show you a picture of the zipped pouch which caused me the problems.  It was meant to be like the one I showed you yesterday but due to the problems fitting the zip (which was exactly the same length as the bag) I had to abandon the original idea and add some extra strips of fabric to the zip before inserting.  As I said this changed the shape and size of the item but I'm sure it is usable for something or other and I was determined not to waste either the fabric or the time spent working on it.  I've also made another one using my one remaining long zip and I will show you a picture of that one some time - a different style using the same method.

Sunday, 16 August 2015

Keeping Busy

I've been keeping quite busy with various crafty things recently including some beading which I can't really share for the time being but yesterday I had a sewing session to finish off three bags which had been  in various stages of construction for a recent mini workshop.  They were made using charm squares and I've shown you pictures of them previously so won't bore you with them again.

 All went well with completing these and I decided while the machine was set up I would have a go at a boxy little zipped bag which I'd spotted on YouTube.  Unfortunately that was when my day turned into one of those frustrating times when things wouldn't go right.  The problem was trying to do top stitching when inserting a zip into quite a restricted opening and having to keep moving the slider out of the way.  The zip was inserted, and unpicked twice and I eventually tried another totally different method involving extra strips of fabric which of course changed the shape and character of the item but at least my day hadn't been entirely wasted.  I contacted a friend who I know had made some of these pouches and she gave me a link to another video and also suggested that she had found it much easier to use a zip longer than the opening and then cutting off the surplus later (something which had occurred to me whilst mulling this over yesterday evening).  Luckily I found a long zip amongst my sewing bits and pieces and of course just had to try it this morning once I'd done a few boring domestic chores.  I have to say it worked like a dream with absolutely no need to keep trying to fiddle around  to move the slider out of the way of my (hopefully) straight lines of stitching.  I started with fabric around ten inches square and the zip was a long dress length one which made it all so much easier that I might now make a few more in different sizes - another way of using up bits and pieces of fabric which accumulate after making larger projects.