Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Icelandic Poppy

Yesterday I saw Sheena on TV demonstrating a way of using glycerine with a brayer and applying it to an embossing folder before sprinkling the embossed card with powder.  Sadly I couldn't really get it to work when I tried but maybe my card wasn't suitable because no way was the powder sticking.  Anyway I resorted to the trusty Versamark pad instead with some black embossing powder before sponging the finished piece with distress inks.  I've used the resulting panel along with a stamped and coloured poppy - blue which I think is called an Icelandic poppy. Colours used are spiced marmalade and broken china.  Background paper is from a Tim Holtz pad and the die cut shapes were cut with Die-sire dies from Crafter's Companion.  Sentiment is from a set by Tim Holtz with matching label die cut.

Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Second Post

What's this - two posts in one day which is quite unusual for me these days!!  This card was made in response to a request from a friend of a friend for a 90th birthday card with some quite specific guidelines which in fact I found difficult to meet but I put my brain in gear and at least made something which may or may not fit the bill.  If the person who ordered it  thinks it won't do then there is no obligation and I can keep it in my box until someone else is looking for a  for a 90th male themed card.  I was asked to post it on the blog so that she can see what she thinks because she lives at the other end of the county.

Background paper was some I came across which fitted in with the nautical theme; the image is a Stampin'Up stamp; 'ship's wheel' is a cog die from Sizzix and the wavy border was cut with an EK Success punch; the sentiment was produced on the computer and popped onto a die cut star.

Floral Card

The weather is beautiful today with blue sky and sunshine - I hope it manages to stay nice for the Easter break as well.  The card to share today is a floral one on which the background was embossed and sponged with Victorian Velvet Distress ink.  flowers were stamped, coloured with a matching DI pen then cut out with scissors. The stamped greeting was layered onto punched ovals and a die cut fancy label (Tonic die).

Sunday, 13 April 2014

Boy Card

I've used another Crafter's Companion image to make this card which would be suitable for a boy.  Background paper is from my stash and the wood panel is the wood-grain stamp from Stampin' Up along with some stamped and punched bunting (also SU).  Sentiment was produced on the computer.

I've spent the morning catching up with some of the techniques which we were shown at the machine embroidery workshop - there were eight different ideas to try.  In the class I only managed seven of them, one of which was't successful anyway because the height of the table I had wasn't really conducive to working free machining - I couldn't really see what I was trying to stitch and that does help believe me! Now all that remains is to come up with ideas for using these techniques in a project or three. What I really must do today is to at least make a start on mowing the lawns before the grass gets too high and blocks the view from the windows!!  I might manage one lawn today although I'm really aiming to do both while the weather is nice.

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend