Pages

Sunday 3 August 2014

Pixie Snippets 136

I have something a bit different for the Pixie Snippets challenge this week - certainly lots of 'snipping' involved in the making I can assure you!!  Several years ago in a fit of enthusiasm I bought this twelve inch MDF mirror frame, full of good intentions to decorate it in some way but somehow managed to 'lose' it in my craft room (maybe too much 'stuff' in there??)  For some reason it came into my mind recently and I mounted a thorough search, eventually coming across it and a few other 'lost' items too.

I started by giving the whole thing a couple of coats of black gesso and while that was drying I started on spraying lots of watercolour paper with Glimmer Mist, adding some Distress ink once it was dry, before setting about to cut it into various 'tiles' which I juggled around until they fitted nicely.  The next task was to sort out a few embossing folders and emboss the pieces which were then further enhanced with Treasure Gold and a bit more Distress ink. Flowers were cut from the remaining snippets using Tim Holtz tattered flowers die and some swirls cut from scraps of mountboard coloured with matching Distress stain. I've not added the mirror tile in the centre yet because I thought it would be difficult to photograph but will do that this morning so that after all this time the project is completed.  I thoroughly enjoyed doing this as a change from making cards.

The embossing shows up better in the enlarged picture (just click on the image)


10 comments:

  1. This is lovely, it was certainly well worth the effort of finding it
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work . . . well done for locating it and making something wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Val, your mirror looks lovely, love all the different textures. Know what you mean about things vanishing into the craft abyss ! need to sort all through my stash again x Lavinia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic mirror frame. The depth of colour is wonderful and the embossing really added some great texture.
    This was worth the search to find ti and the effort you put in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really lovely val, gorgeous colours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val your mirror as turned out great, all the different textures work well. Also nice colours used. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Val, well worth all that effort. Hope you're going to display it:)
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Val - what a stunning piece of work! Gorgeous result - you must have a load of patience piecing it all together yet it look so natural and just right. Good idea not to add the mirror tile before photographing it :)

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my!! This is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is stunning Val, I love all of the snippits you've coloured with the glimmer mists, it's made a gorgeous mirror.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete