Saturday, 19 February 2011

Bah Humbug challenge 7

The challenge at Bah Humbug this week is to use a DVD or CD in some way to make something, not necessrily a card.  I chose to make a card and have coloured an old CD using alchol ink in Cranberry and Butterscotch with a touch of gold from a Cryla gold pen.  I cut a gold shape using a Marianne die, put it in the centre and added a circle of background paper and a ready made poinsettia flower.  Background paper is from Papermania and I cut corners using  Stampin Up and EK Success punch and added gems. 

In doing this card which is quite three dimensional in the centre I've discovered a drawback with my new scanner.  I replaced my old one very recently because the glass was beginning to get marked and had also gone sort of 'milky' around the edges (it was really quite old) and treated myself to a new one only to discover that if I scan anything which is particularly three dimensional the whole background of the card is out of focus.  I had to resort to taking a photograph of the card which is fine when the light is reasonable but is going to be a bit of a pain in poor lighting conditions.  I tried increasing the resolution in the scanner but to no avail - if anyone knows a solution to this problem I would be grateful.

Friday, 18 February 2011

Forgotten Friday 5

I made this card for Judith's Forgotten Friday Challenge but I guess she must be busy today as she hasn't posted yet.  I'm putting the card up anyway and will link it to her later.  This stamp is from an A4 floral plate of unmounted Elusive Images stamps which I've had for a very long while but as far as I can remember I've never actually used this particular one.  I decided to stamp it onto Kraft card and colour with Polychromos pencils, simply added some background paper by Papermania I think, a matching ribbon and stamped greeting on a Stampin Up punched shape.

Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Butterflies and Flowers

I used an X-cut cut and emboss folder for this card (very similar I think to the new Cuttlebug ones) which I've not tried yet.  The only instructions on the packaging are for the 'bug' and as I use a Big shot I had to do a bit of trial and error, eventually deciding I needed to use some card shim to get the levels right because one layer on the multi platform was too thick to go through and the next layer let it go through without cutting or embossing.  I sponged it with Distress ink and then added some flowers and  leaves (X-cut punch for leaves). The butterflies were cut using  Marianne dies.  I had to add some lace, pearls and glitter - the sentiment was layered up using punches from Stampin Up.

Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Less is More Week 2

The challenge on Less is More this week is to make a single layer card  using flowers or trees in the minimilast style which is proving a bit daunting for some of us according to various comments. I must say it is a bit scary to stamp  several times directly onto a card knowing that you can't cover up any odd marks or mistakes with a strategically placed flower or butterfly - go on you know we've all done it sometimes!!!  My choice this week was to work on kraft card with white and brown.  The circle was stamped using pigment ink and once dry was overstamped with a flower in brown Memento ink; the message was also stamped in the same ink.  The circle and flower were both from Elusive Images Retro Vases and Flowers stamp set and the greeting was an unmounted one but I can't remember the source.

Monday, 14 February 2011

Bah Humbug Challenge 6

The challenge at Bah Humbug this week is to use doilies in some way and my first task was to search for some amongst my stash - I knew they were there somewhere.  I went through Joanna Sheen's  Enchanted Christmas CD and printed off a suitable image which has been decoupaged and  layered up with the doily, some red card and a simple computer sentiment and a few gems.

Sunday, 13 February 2011

Charming Pendants

I went to a workshop yesterday entitled 'Charming Pendants'. The tutor Dawn brought along a tempting array of beads and we were encouraged to design our own pieces of jewellery - making charms and dangles to turn into earrings, necklaces, handbag charms etc.  I was immediately tempted by a circular shell pendant and some freshwater pearls and set about playing around with ideas and although my original intention was to make a necklace I finally decided to combine all the bits I'd made into a dangly brooch using a 'kilt pin' finding.  This was as usual a fun day and with Dawn's guidance and expertise some really 'charming' pieces emerged.