Pages

Friday 22 July 2011

Forgotten Friday 26

Friday again and time to visit Judith's Forgotten Friday blog - well worth a visit as she has made a beautiful bird card.  For my card this week I've visited an old and almost forgotten technique (temporarily forgotten by me anyway!!) using decorative paper napkins.  The traditional way to do this is to use 'mod podge' or decoupage glue to adhere the top picture layer onto a piece of card but I tried the modern way with some cling film and an iron but be aware that not all cling film works (there are tutorials on the web).  Doing it this. way gives a very flat smooth result and I'm not sure I don't prefer the slightly textured effect you get when using the 'messy' method.  The background paper is some which I've had for some time, months in fact ever since a friend asked me to pick her up a couple of sheets from my local craft shop and naturally I couldn't resist buying some for myself, promptly stored it away and forgot I had it!! The flower was made with a Marianne die and a flower punch using up odd scraps from my HUGE bits box - why is it I just cannot throw out anything unless it's smaller than a postage stamp??

5 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card Val, and how odd, that my finished card nearly had a napkin on too! Mine was using the messy method though! I haven't heard of using cling film, must research this. The background paper looks intriguing. Thanks for joining in again this week, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such apretty card Val... like you I find it hard to throw stuff away.. even boxes and packing.. I'm not all that good at "alltering" but keep saving stuff to have a go at!! I'm running out of space!
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super card Val, I love the soft colours used. I've not used napkins before but will have to have a look for the method that you've used.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Val - such a cute pussy cat....... the colours are really pretty but I must admit I think I like the mod podge method for the napkins better; although the cling film method is quicker (BTW the best cling film is either very cheap or Baco Bio Wrap that can only be found in Asda). For anyone interested here is a link to the method: http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/home-garden/craft/napkin-card-your-craft/story/4105274/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val a lovely card. I've never used napkins and definately never heard of cling film techneque. Hugs x ChrisB

    ReplyDelete