I've had it in mind to make this particular bag for some time so I set about sorting through my scraps of Batik fabrics to cut out 48 squares which I thought would go together colour-wise, adding just a border of black as a contrast. Fortunately I had a piece of suitable colour to make the lining, button loop and the little side ties. The basic pattern is one which I bought from Juberry Fabrics a few years ago at a show but I've adapted it somewhat, particularly on the inside where I've added two zipped 'letterbox' pockets. The original pattern was made up in one overall fabric with an external plain pocket in contrasting fabric.but I'd spotted one made up with multicoloured squares so that is what I wanted for this version. The two panels were made up and then quilted before tackling the construction.
You will have heard of 'extreme' sports, and possibly 'extreme' ironing - well this turned out to be 'extreme' bag-making because I used some foam interlining.This makes a beautifully firm bag that will stand up on it's own but my goodness I found it hard work manipulating it under the machine (age could be a contributing factor here!!). Actually stitches easily but the general unwieldiness was definitely a battle although I am happy with the result. The ties at the sides can be unfastened so that it opens out to be a more capacious bag - final measurements are approximately 12" x 11" x 6".
Pattern for Bag Shape - Juberry Fabrics
Foam Interlining - Bosal single side iron-on foam
Batik fabrics - from Hannah'sRoom